About British Columbia WG
The BC Working Group on Sustainability Education is a multi-sectoral group of 20 key players and decision makers working across the province to advance the agenda of sustainability education in BC. We work closely with the BC Ministries of Education and Advanced Education and with the National Education for Sustainable Development Expert Council. Three sector teams (non-formal education, formal K-12 education, and higher education) work on forwarding specific interest areas.
In a world where information and resources about sustainability are abundant and often overwhelming, our goal is to connect and support those groups and individuals. By creating this working group and online network, we aim to collaborate, integrate, track progress, and network around sustainability education. The project is partially funded by Learning for a Sustainable Future and Environment Canada with in-kind help from the organizations of the working group members.
To create a vibrant and active education network across British Columbia working towards a culture of sustainability.
- To foster and promote education in British Columbia that leads to sustainable communities now and in the future
- To create leadership and support for the identification and implementation of sustainability education initiatives across the province
- To develop and recommend action plans for the implementation of sustainability education policy, curriculum, and learning resources in formal and non-formal education
- To provide a forum for sustainability education stakeholders to meet, exchange, and collaborate through:
- Quarterly Working Group meetings
- Bi-annual provincial sustainability education dialogue
- Maintaining and updating the walkingthetalk website
- To promote the integration of sustainability education into the formal and non-formal education sectors
- To report on the implementation of sustainability education activities (research, policies, curriculum, learning resources, teacher training, facilities management, etc.) in support of the UN Decade for Education for Sustainable Development.
- To report on international indicators (to be guided by Learning for a Sustainable Future and the Canadian National Expert Council).
Sector teams are working under the supervision and guidance of the working group on three specific areas of sustainability education:
- K-12 Education
- Higher Education
- Non-Formal Education