About Nunavut WG
All stakeholders in Nunavut have a role in determining the goals, priorities and objectives for education for sustainable development (ESD) in Nunavut. Nunavut Education for Sustainable Development will help create a sustainable future for Nunavummiut. ESD will be built into the activities of the formal, non-formal and informal education sectors in Nunavut.
The purpose of the NESDWG is to provide advice and direction to the Departments of Education, Economic Development and Transportation, and Environment and their partner organizations, in order to meet the goals outlined by the NESDWG and to create opportunities at all levels to educate Nunavummiut for a sustainable future.
- Provide a forum for collaboration in the development and implementation of key strategies which relate to sustainable development and impact on GN policy
- Provide support to partner organizations by making recommendations regarding issues of common concern
- Facilitate collaborative initiatives, especially in the area of training
- Support capacity-building to address sustainability challenges across the territory
- Provide a forum for discussing challenges and concerns and sharing best practices, especially with regards to new initiatives and strategies such as the Nunavut Economic Development Strategy, the Nunavut Climate Change Strategy, the Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit Educational Framework (DRAFT) and Sivuniksamut Ilinniarniq: Multiple Graduation Options (DRAFT)
- Monitor and report on progress of ESD in Nunavut through Canadian Minister of Education Council
- Develop an action plan for promoting public awareness, broad community education, as well as for specific school-based initiatives that advance knowledge, translation, uptake and transformation to enhance and support sustainable development at all levels in Nunavut through the lifelong learning approach